This is the flip side of the sign Flat Stanley is showing you. The alter was brought with the original settlers and is still in use inside this historic little church on the corner of High Street and State Route 161 in Worthington, Ohio. The graveyard has 317 documented burials of which 5 are Revolutionary War Veterans and 7 are veterans of The War of 1812.
The church is The Gothic Revival Style. I've attended a wedding in this beautiful little church. Stanley wanted to show you the sign here beside the door. SEATS FREE! Anyone ever seen that listed outside a church before?
The bell for the church was also brought here by the first settlers and served the community well since it was used for more then church; but school as well. That same bell is perched high across the street from the church in the bell tower of the community's school.
Flat Stanley suggest the kids look for corner stones, and signs at churches near them to see how they are. Do they have a bell in the bell tower? Does the church have a small cemetery associated with it? Have the kids draw a church, discuss why in years past a cemetery was often associated with the church. How the church was used for community events, community meetings and the center of the community.
Kids love blocks, maybe they could build a church with their blocks. As you look for churches you can walk or ride your bikes too point out the various architectural styles.
As always doing activities with kids helps them learn and remember a location or event. Math, coloring, block building and discussion can be done to enhance to experience with so many of Flat Stanley's adventures.
If you missed any, catch up here:
- April 23, 2010 Books and Parks (Upper Arlington, Ohio)
- April 30, 2010 Traitor or Hero (Worthington, Ohio)
- May 7, 2010 Flat Stanley and his friend Captain Pinney (Worthington, Ohio)
- May 14, 2010 First Flight and Flat Stanley (Worthington, Ohio)
- May 21, 2010 Up The Indian Mound with Flat Stanley (Columbus, Ohio)
- May 28, 2010 Flat Stanley goes to Camp (Upper Arlington, Ohio)
- May 31, 2010 Honoring Those who Served on Memorial Day (Upper Arlington, Ohio)
- June 12, 2010 Signs and Flat Stanley, (Worthington, Ohio)
- June 18, 2010 Breathe Easy with Flat Stanley (Columbus, Ohio)
- June 25, 2010 Stanley at The Masonic Museum (Worthington, Ohio)
- July 2, 2010 Special 4th of July with Flat Stanley (Worthington, Ohio)