Friday, September 1, 2023

Day One, The Tour Begins, Windsor


We had a refreshing Aperol Spritz and enjoyed the nice weather.

Our itinerary summed up Day one like this:
Your tour departs at 2 pm from your Windsor Hotel.  Venture to see the splendors of Windsor Castle, a residence of the King, and the oldest and largest inhabited castle in the world.  Then take a walking tour arouind the medieval town of Windsor with a local guide.  Enjoy a welcome drink with your group, and dine and explore as you wish this evening.  Our welcome drink was scheduled for 6 pm.
Walk this way.  There are no inside photo's permitted, but it was awesome to see it.  Wish I could share with you; but it's a BIG no no.  There are security checks as you enter so travel light and leave backpacks in the hotel or in our case the tour coach..
Trying to snap photo's as we walked with our guide wasn't super easy.  You have to keep up.  

Queen Victoria on High Street as you make your way to the entrance.  As you can see lots of rehab work is going on.  The tour guide said it's perpetual.  The bronze statue was to commemorate her Golden Jubilee (50th year).   At that time, she was the longest serving Monarch.

The State Entrance.  Just outside this gate was wear The Queen was often seen with her dogs, and or riding her horse.  She was quite popular and friendly according to our tour guide who saw her multiple times.

Turning the opposite direction from The State Entrance puts you in line with The Long Walk.  A beautiful place to walk, run etc.  It's 2.64 miles to the end where a horse statue resides on Snow Hill.  This was created during the reign of Charles II.

Our local guide pointing out items of interest.  Note the restaurant behind her, The Prince Harry.  After our tour and welcome drink, we attempted to go there for dinner.  They were not busy, but the wait staff and bartender just looked at us and walked away.  We waited a few minutes more and then walked out.  Guess they didn't want our business.  We did note pictures of Harry and Meghan on the walls.
Tried my best to get a picture without people, but as you can see, wasn't quite successful.  Windsor is full of tourists.  The shambles built in 1718.  Look how crocked it is.  Remember you can click on any picture to see things larger.

While this old plaque isn't readable.  It marks the location of Nell Gwynn's residence, and now tea room.
And Chinese Restaurant.  The date on the building is 1648.  She was a stage actress and one of King Charles's mistresses.

You'll recall dinner was not included, which is very weird.  I've never done a tour that didn't have a welcome dinner.  It gives the group a chance to get to know each other, and many people have just arrived that day and are tired.  To have to search out somewhere to eat isn't a particularly good way to start the tour.  So after our welcome drink, and a foiled attempt to eat at the pub right across the street from our hotel, The Prince Harry; we ended up at Meejana, 1 Church Lane in a very cute Lebanese restaurant.  My dish was an eggplant something and was delicious.  Don't remember what Jane had, but she was very pleased with it.  **edited to add my friend remembered what I had, it was Mousakaa.
See what a cute little super clean place it was.  Would highly recommend it.  We were seated at an open window area, and they had outside eating as well.

Marching orders.  Most days we had something like this posted to indicate what was next.  So breakfast at 7am, luggage out by your door by 7 am, be on the coach at 8 am for departure.  Dinner tomorrow at 6:30 in our hotel, our first group dinner.  


PLEASE leave me a comment when you come visit, so I know you were here. Your visits and comments are very special to me. AND remember, leave your name and url and not your profile link. Name and url takes me right to your blog post so I can reciprocate the visit.

18 comments:

  1. Such fun. The food looks amazing. I'm coming along with you.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandee, my friend remembered what I had Mousakaa, it was yummy.

      Delete
  2. Aperol Spritz looks like a great tour opener. The castle looks so majestic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aperol Spritz are always so refreshing, was just what we needed.

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a great trip. I love castles and all things English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to see lots of castles and wasn't disappointed.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful trip. The tour looks sensational! I do think it was odd not to have dinner the first night and not to have suggestions of a restaurant. I'm glad you found the one you did. I love Mousaka! I can't wait to see where you go next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you. I'm glad I got the opportunity to try the Mousaka, loved it.

      Delete
  5. Looks like it was a great tour of the castle. I bet you got a lot of walking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get a good number of steps in each day, except when on the coach going from point A to B.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the group dinners on my tour. Breakfast and dinner were provided except for a couple of nights (out of a month).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed meeting people, but our meals weren't very good, and not much variety.

      Delete
  7. The Long Walk looks inviting to me. I’m glad you had a nice meal after all. The outside of the castle is a wonder, even if we can’t see inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had had enough time to walk the long walk and see more of the grounds.

      Delete
  8. Was your step count included in your touring. Looks like you had lovely weather too. Thank goodness the remainder of your trip was filled with kind folks unlike the staff at Prince Harry's
    Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the step count included my touring. Lots of time sitting on the coach, but we also walked a good bit so was able to get decent step counts. Right you are about Prince Harry's. The others made up for it.

      Delete
  9. I know I left a comment on this post too -- I guess Blogger doesn't like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what happens mysteriously here on the net from time to time. But, always nice to see you.

      Delete

ALL comments left with name and url will be returned. NO PROFILE links please!