Saturday, October 1, 2022

France, The Tour That Wasn't



A round about just half a block away from our hotel, Novotel Chateau de Versailles.  We didn't make it across the street to read the inscription to know what the momument is.  But it was quite large and intresting.  We took a quick snap with our phones in between car traffic.

One view of Versailles.  On day one of our arrival to Versailles after a 45 minute car ride from the airport (Charles De Gaulle) in Paris, we went walking just to explore.  Versaille was just a couple of blocks from our hotel.  We arrived just as they were locking the gate as the inside tours were done for the day.  We were ok with that as we would be touring this with the tour group later.  We arrived a day earlier than the tour to have extra time to adjust, and recoup after the long flight.  So we were able to see the outside.  Even in this one picture, you can tell how large and grande it is, and that rehad is in process.  After all, it was re-built by King Louis XIII, back in 1631...or at least that's when he started with his grand plan.
We continued to walk around and explore looking for a little cafe for an early dinner.  The little patio area where the green awning is attracted us.  We had a couple of glasses of wine and a lovely light dinner as we enjoyed the good weather.  We chatted about what we would do the next day before meeting up with the tour director and the group.  We planned an early dinner, walk back to the hotel and have a nightcap at the hotel bar before calling it a night.

Covid had other plans for us!  Had we met up with the tour group the next day we would have had wine and gotten to know the group and director, and then headed to our first savory French dinner.  The following day we would tour the private apartments of King Louis XIV, The Sun King.  We would have seen the Hall of Mirrors and opulent bedchamber of the queen.  That evening we would have viewed the Royal Gardens of Versailles with a twilight promenade and enjoyed the Baroque fountains.

As the tour group continued on their merry way, we spent 5 days of isolation in a hotel room, scrambling to make alternative flight arrangements to return home once the isolation period was over.

The tour was through Collette, a 12 day tour, "France Magnifique" using Marriott Vacation Club Points.  We added a day in front of the tour and 2 days after.  Now we wait to hear back from the travel insurance folks in hopes of getting our money back.  I might add this tour was apparently doomed from the start, as it had been scheduled 5 different times thanks to Covid.


PLEASE leave me a comment when you come visit, so I know you were here. Your visits and comments are very special to me. AND remember, leave your name and url and not your google+ profile link or your blogger profile link. Name and url takes me right to your blog post so I can reciprocate the visit. Profile pages do not.

18 comments:

  1. I still think the best way to travel is through an organised tour. Unless the traffic, access and social security are excellent in the area, safety first for me. You have done well despite they were captured on the phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree that an organized tour is the best way to go. One for safety, two due to language issues, and 3 because the tour guides have so much knowledge of the area that you can't possible know or learn on your own.

      Delete
  2. What a pity to get covid during your trip. The organized tours are a good option to visit places but sometimes I prefer to travel by myself to spend the time as I like without being in hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, but please leave your name and url so I can return the favor of visiting your blog. I prefer organized tours for safety, someone else is taking care of details, and you learn so much more with how knowledgeable the guides always are. Yeah having Covid really ruined the whole thing.l;

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you had to deal with covid in the middle of this trip. Looks like it started off well.
    I've never been overseas, but I would prefer a tour to visit there also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari, appreciate it. Yes I like tours when traveling abroad. It did start well, but sure ended quickly.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about your trip. I got to see Versailles way back in 1985, with a college trip. Lovely. I bought the postcard set, since their photographers are much better than I'll ever be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got to see it. I remember in previous years on trips buying the post cards because as you say, the pictures are far superior to what we can do.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry. What a disappointment. I hope you can get back and actually have the trip you planned. That tour sounds like it would have been great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Liz. Probably not anytime soon though. Since it was scheduled 5 times, and then we got Covid it's like too much bad mojo. But, hopefully sometime.

      Delete
  6. I got Covid at the very end of my trip this summer. So disappointing about missing your tour. Hope all the insurance issues work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to enjoy most of your trip before getting Covid, but I'm sure it still ruined things for you. Got my fingers and toes crossed about the insurance.

      Delete
  7. I’m so disappointed for you, as that sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I understand. We were supposed to go to Italy with my husband’s job pre-Covid, but it was canceled due to cutbacks. Summer of 2020 we had a big trip planned to the Rocky Mountains and Colorado Springs that we had to cancel, as it was in the midst of the pandemic. Also had to cancel my son’s wedding reception that summer. Don’t you feel as though you’ve missed out on so much the last few years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I really do. Hubby just said that last night that he feels like we've lost 2.5 years. Sorry to hear your Italy trip didn't happen. We LOVED Italy and am glad we made it there before the pandemic. How sad for you son not to have a wedding reception. Hope you re-schedule your trip to The Rocky's, we used to love camping and hiking there when we were younger.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your trip wasn't great due to Covid. You had so little time before you got sick! September has flown by so fast; I hope October will slow down a bit so we can all enjoy these last warm and sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are. We won't have too many more days of sunshine.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sandy
    Gosh I'm sorry the tour around that beautiful was a bust.
    I agree we lost 2.5 years...and at 'my' age (lol) that is a lot.
    I was in France in April 1968. Offered thru a course I took in Jr. College. We arrived in Paris in the midst of the student riots
    Cars on fire students in the streets. Our chaperone's must have been frantic 50-18 year old girls. They got us to our hotel our wonderful meal was canceled they ordered burgers from Blimpy's, which was next door to our hotel. We got up before the roosters the next day. Had special permission to tour the Eiffel Tower as the sun was rising. Spectacular but then we had to leave it was too dangerous for walking around the beautiful city.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, how sad for you all. Reading that note gave me cold chills. That must have been pretty scary. Maybe someday we'll both be able to go and actually see the country.

      Delete

ALL comments left with name and url will be returned. NO PROFILE links please!