Monday, January 11, 2010

Taliesin West, Arizona

Taliesin West HouseFrank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West is near Scottsdale, Arizona. I'm not a fan a "modern" exterior's. They aren't warm and inviting to me. I'm most definitely not a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, the person...more on that later. But, I do recommend the tour here at Taliesin West. It is most enjoyable, educational and rather eye opening.

He is still revered globally by architects despite his personal life being a mess. He was born just 2 years after The Civil War in 1867 though he often lied about his birth year. He died at the ripe old age of 91 in Phoenix. His list of accomplishments with regard to living with nature, forward thinking with architecture is long and impressive. An apprentice program started back in 1932 continues today as The School of Architecture because of him and the foundation. The foundation serves to keep alive his legacy and to promote opportunities to the public for life long learning.

This house, Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark. It like many of his homes was built with money from others.

I especially enjoyed the art on display from residences in the program.

Resident Art The familyresident art running
And chucked when I saw this bed, which might be a good item today with "friends" living together but not being a couple.
The public is unsympathetic today, and downright disgusted by recent news about Tiger Woods. However, Frank Lloyd Wright was married 3 times, had a mistress, lied, cheated not only his family and wives; but his best friends. He stole ideas from others, broke contracts, deserted his family, lived off of other people and-- was for the bulk of his life a "user". He didn't return favors, he didn't pay back loans not even when his best friend--- whom he owed a great deal ended up dying as a pauper. Frank was not an honorable man, but history has remembered him fondly.

You'll need to draw your own conclusions about Tiger; I certainly have with regard to Frank.



Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share
ie

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

  1. Why is it that brilliance in one area of life seems to justify in some people's minds folly in other equally important area's of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking at the art work very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do I agree with you Carol at 2nd cup. Sadly, it sure seems to happen alot.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright's style and didn't even know all that about him. I do like that art though and appreciate learning more info from you today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most artists are controversial, it's a price they pay for being so creative and so different from others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew that about FLW. Interesting how the public leaves some people alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing this post, i enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, I'm not sure it's a price he paid; but others around him dearly.

    I think people saying through the years, oh, they're an artist isn't really a very good excuse; it bothers me men who aren't honorable are honored and remembered in history. FLW is only 1 of course.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm. I live near here. I might have to check it out. That bed would be perfect sometimes in my marriage if you know what I mean. Now you need to head over to Pizzaria Bianco in downtown Phoenix and tell me if you think it is worth the wait. I thought so!
    http://trainingboerboels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. read a great book "Loving Frank" about Wright and his mistress. What a life! I like living in the old part of town myself, by this house is beautiful, and the sculptures, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I honestly don't know what's with all the hype around Tiger Woods these days. Private lives should stay private. But speaking of artists, I tend to separate their private lives from their work. Usually for writers, who are drunk, addicts, complete messes, but write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL I never knew that about frank lloyd wright. there also wasnt a bunch of 24hr news stations

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a nice place.. I wish to go there and enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This includes some very nice photographs :) The art is really cool.

    Wright's architecture was unique and yes, he was a piece of crap. Though, when I was younger and wanted to build buildings instead of websites, I looked up to his talents as an architect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did
    you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks
    Feel free to surf my web page : Leiligheter Til Salgs I Antalya

    ReplyDelete

ALL comments left with name and url will be returned. NO PROFILE links please!