Beaufort National Cemetery

(A-Z Challenge G post)
Graveyards.  Yes, I almost always find a graveyard to visit when we travel.  Why?  I find them fascinating.  The history you see with dates, the beautiful artwork on stones, particularly the older stones, and because most graveyards are pretty, and so serene.

This was a quicker then normal visit, as it was getting late in the day, the sun was setting and it being January, even in South Carolina it gets nippy.  We still had to drive back to our condo in Hilton Head.  Look how perfect each row is.  I'm always impressed with the precision in National Cemeteries.

Precision, even with curves.  The wreaths are left from the National program Wreaths Across America. 
By mid January when we visited, most had been removed, as per protocol.  But laying the wreaths and removing them in a big job.  You pay your respect to those there and I believe you can learn a bit about the area while spending time in a graveyard.
A traditional stone, this one for Daniel Miller, United States Navy #334.    He was someone's son, someone's friend, perhaps someone's father or brother.

Many of The Natl. Cemeteries have a book where you look up your name or other family names.  The last 2 listed are Holladay's, spelled the same as my husband's family.
Carrying across the page, I need 2 photo's but have the plot info 17-0-30 and birth and death dates of Captain Frederick Owen Holladay and his wife who is listed as a Dependant June Hoban Holladay.  Since taking the photo, I've done minimal research and found Capt. Holladay served in both WWII and The Korean War.  He was born in Newton, Mississippi the son of Owen A. Holladay and Kate Hayes Holladay.  He was a ham operator, graduated from Milsaps College and attended George Washington University and Temple University.  We spotted the book and got the info on our way out so we didn't actually find his grave.  Next trip though we'll be ready.

This stone though really got my attention.  It's not the standard military issue.  It reads, Sacred to the memory of Lorenzo S. Snow, Ordinary Seaman of the US Steammer....and I can't make out the ship (will need to research to see if I can find it), who fell in action on Stone River, Dec 25, 1863.  Gallantly battling for his flag and his country.  Love is Eternal.  How sad, died on Christmas Day.  I will be doing some follow up to learn more of this man's story.

Yes, I almost always take time to tour a graveyard when I travel.

Pop in Often, remember Menu Mondays for dining tips, Traveling Tips on Thursday, and any day for vacation destinations.
(#9, start with 529)

Comments

  1. That's fascinating. Graveyards are filled with such history. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love graveyards :) Thanks for sharing! (And for stopping by my blog :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've been to many graveyards on family trips because my family is really into history. We have searched for ancestors and some are just historic sites. I guess some people think that's weird but it's what I was used to growing up--museums, historic sites, cemetaries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christine, Bonnie and Stephsco for your visits and comments. Glad I'm not the only one that see's graveyards as interesting, into history etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

ALL comments left with name and url or hyperlink returned. NO profile links please.

Popular posts from this blog

Viu Bicing, Vodafone in Barcelona

Iguana's in Aruba

Adena Indian Mound, Chillicothe, Ohio