Thursday, September 9, 2010

Packing Thursday Traveling Tip

suitcasePacking, it's been my experience that regardless of where you go, most people over pack. Ask yourself several questions.
  1. ..What am I going to be doing (what type of clothes are needed to accomplish this)
  2. ..How long am I going to be there
  3. ..What's the weather like
  4. ..Are there laundry facilities there?
Answering those questions will truly help you.
Example...what am I going to be doing? Going to the beach, you're going to be walking and laying on the beach. What do you need? Sunscreen and bathing suit, and not much more. So, if you're in a hotel where you will eat out every meal, you need clothes for that. Is it fancy? Probably not, most beach places are pretty casual. Shorts, or summer skirts and tops are probably all that's needed. If you're in a condo and will be doing you own cooking, are you going to "dress for dinner"?
How long am I going to be there? Going for a week, you need maybe 2 skirts for evening with different tops, and maybe 2 pair of shorts for variety. A couple of suits so one can be drying while you've got the other one on. What's the weather like? Probably a beach trip is hot (though I took one that wasn't) Sweater sets are great, sleeveless for when it's hot, and a matching sweater if it cools down at night or you get cold in A.C. while dining out. Are there laundry facilities? If so, you can pack lighter and do a laundry mid week.

My suggestion is to lay out what you think you need on the bed, look it over; match sure colors blend so you can mix and match. If not make changes. Then when you satisfied, remove 1 full outfit and hang it back up in your closest. Think back, how many times have you come home and said I didn't need this or that while unpacking?

folding bagsPack a slightly larger suitcase then you need for your clothes, you'll have room them for purchases you make while gone. Be they gifts for friends and family or your personal souvenirs. Toss in a bag or two like these. These happen to be what I use grocery shopping, but one or two of these gives you a bag to separate things in your suitcase for the return trip, something to put your beach towel, sunscreen etc. if you're going to the beach or spending time at the hotel pool.

If you're flying, be sure and weigh your suitcase at home. Give yourself room to grow heavier so you're not charged for a heavy bag. Another good purpose of those bags above. You could use one for your carry on if you're over weight. How will you know if you're overweight at the hotel? Does your hotel have a workout room? Most do, so do condo's at resorts. There are scales in a work out room. Weight your bag the night before departure. Don't be caught off guard.

**Still having issues with formatting. Can anyone figure out why the numbers and or dots don't work here when I post on blogger? I see both when I type in draft form, I see both in preview form, I see neither when post is published. The same situation with the few times I've tried to use a linky. No numbers appear???
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. I'm one of those who overpack. LOL! Thanks for these tips Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to pack more than I need so appreciate your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is a system in proper packing. If we don't pack our luggage right, we may end up with an overload of baggage. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are interesting questions and I like it as these questions will be helpful for traveling.I will keep them in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of the over acting person when it comes to packing on a trip. I always want to bring everything as much as possible so I end up carrying a bunch. I am not a good planner when it comes to packing so thank you for all the tips. I wish I could apply some one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of the over acting person when it comes to packing on a trip. I always want to bring everything as much as possible so I end up carrying a bunch. I am not a good planner when it comes to packing so thank you for all the tips. I wish I could apply some one day.

    ReplyDelete

ALL comments left with name and url will be returned. NO PROFILE links please!